Building Renovation Insurance

If your dream renovations turn into a real nightmare, we’ll come to the rescue

Get a Quote

Who are Renovation Plan?

Property renovations are exciting. From extending your kitchen to converting the loft, improving a home enhances your quality of life and potentially adds value. However, when you’re making major changes to your home, you need renovation insurance – and that’s where we come in.

We understand the problems that can derail renovations. Whether it’s building materials being stolen, leaks, floods or injury, there are all sorts of risks to consider – and, with standard home insurance rarely covering costs, that’s when you need specialist building renovation insurance.

We’re experts in all things home renovation insurance. We’ve been honing our knowledge for over 20 years and have the resources you need to protect your project.

What our renovation insurance policy covers

Internal renovations

Finding the right fixtures and fittings for internal renovations costs time and money so, unlike standard buildings insurance, our home renovation insurance covers all your fittings and fixtures as soon as they’re delivered, as standard.

Structural renovations

All structural work must be covered with the right house renovation insurance. Doing so will protect the new building, existing structure and neighbouring properties too.

Major renovations

If you’re piling, doing basement excavations or demolition work, it’s likely that you’ll need to move out of the property for a short while. An unoccupied building might not get cover from standard buildings insurers – but come to us and we’ll provide home insurance during renovations instead.

What projects require renovation insurance?

If you’re doing structural work that’s not a self- or new-build project, you’ll likely need home or commercial renovation insurance. This includes:

  • Conversions, such as barns, basements and lofts
  • Extensions
  • Internal home renovations
  • Most work done in an existing property

Why is renovation insurance so important?

People don’t realise that they need house insurance whilst renovating until something has already gone wrong, as they believe that builder’s insurance will cover any accidents – which is where our insurance for renovation work comes in.

Each renovation can bring a unique set of problems. Helpfully, our renovation insurance is specifically designed to protect you from these risks.

Our insurance for renovation work provides peace of mind, whilst helping to avoid claim disputes if you’re employing lots of different contractors with their separate policies.

We understand that every project is different so our cover is tailored to different risk levels – enabling you to just get started, confident that you’ve got the right protection.

Your choice of cover level

We offer three levels of cover to suit your needs:

  • Standard – offering essential protection against limited risks
  • Premier – providing a wider range of cover, suitable for small- to medium-sized projects
  • Premier Plus – covering ‘all risks’ and best for larger, more complex renovation projects.

Click here to see how each level of cover compares.

What we need to know to get you covered

Before we offer a quote for our renovation insurance, we want to get to know you and your project. We just need the following details to help us find the right cover for you:

  • Your project start date
  • Details of the renovation work
  • How long the works are expected to take
  • The overall costs
  • Details regarding the existing structure, including the rebuild cost


Ready to get cover?


Does builders’ insurance cover my renovation?

Unfortunately, builder’s insurance doesn’t always cover the works. We make it mandatory for your chosen builder to have at least £2m Public Liability Insurance in place. However, this still only covers claims caused by their own mistakes.

There are still ways in which you’re liable for damage or injury. For example, if your neighbour’s property gets damaged during your work, the blame will fall on you – so it’s important to protect yourself with the best home renovation insurance.

Is it OK to carry out the main renovations myself?

Yes, absolutely. You don’t need to appoint a builder unless you need major groundwork doing. If you’re doing the work yourself, we always recommend our Premier Plus renovation insurance policy as this includes cover for accidental damage.

I am only carrying out cosmetic works, do I still need specialist renovation insurance cover?

There is no project too small for our renovation insurance policy. However, we recommend that you speak with your existing insurer before talking to us and check any terms or restrictions that might be applicable.

Our 3 levels of cover

Useful guides

Ready to get cover?

Articles you might be interested in