Get a Quote
An extension to your existing home can be a more cost-effective way to add extra space and in turn increase the sale value of your home.

Moving home can be very stressful and many people love their home but need more space. Perhaps your family’s growing or you’re looking to work from home.

When extending your home, it is important to contact your existing home insurance provider to see what restrictions they may apply. They may exclude all damage caused by or associated with the works, and they may apply a theft restriction which stipulates there must be forced/violent entry or exit from the property. This will put you and your property at risk should you suffer a loss during the building works.

Renovation Plan insurance can cover your main home and all the new works for the duration of your extension project. It would effectively replace your home insurance for the time being.

If you are looking to carry out a basement extension or perhaps your works involve underpinning/piling, our insurance product can cater for the excavation works and perhaps even look into cover for the neighbouring properties if you are terraced or semi-detached. This is referred to as Non-Negligence Cover.

Rear, side or front extension

Whether you are extending to the back, side, front or looking to construct a complete wrap around extension, it is highly unlikely that your home insurance will cover the structural work involved. They may continue cover on the existing home, but many home insurers have a clause which excludes any structural alterations, or any damage resulting from the works would be excluded.

Extension of an existing basement?

This type of excavation work will not be covered under standard building insurance. A specialist insurance would be required to provide adequate insurance for your home and an experienced, specialist contractor to complete the work. We can cover your basement extension on our Premier Plus level of cover.

Ready to get cover?


Q: Will my builder be covering this work?

A: Your builder should have at least £2m Public Liability insurance, this would provide cover for any damage he is at fault for. If negligence cannot be proven, then his insurance would not provide cover. Perils such as fire, flood, escape of water, theft, impact etc. would not be covered under the builder’s insurance policy as he would not be at fault.

Q: I have existing buildings insurance; will they not cover this new part of the property?

A: Once the extension is complete, all fixtures and fittings are installed, and it’s been signed off by building regulations (if required) your home insurer would cover the extension. However, during the construction period there will most likely be a works exclusion which will leave your home and your new extension at risk.

Q: My extension will not be weatherproof/watertight for part of the build; will this be a problem?

A:  No, we understand that part way through a build an extension may not be completely weatherproof and watertight. During this time, there may be restrictions applied depending on which level of cover you opt for.

Our 3 levels of cover

Useful guides

Ready to get cover?

Articles you might be interested in