The Home of Building Work Insurance

Need renovation or other building work insurance? Let us help you out.
• Three levels of cover available
• Money back if you finish early
• Policies last from 3-36 months

Get a Quote

Renovating should be exciting but, unfortunately, it doesn’t always go to plan. We specialise in renovation, restoration, extension, conversion, self-build, JCT, new-build and contract works insurance, giving you the support you need from a partner you trust – and with a tailored policy to suit you.

What is renovation or building work insurance?

If you plan to make major structural changes to your home, chances are you’ll need building work insurance, often referred to as renovation insurance. This way, you’ll be covered against a wide range of risks for as long as the work takes place.

Good, comprehensive building work insurance will cover the existing structure and any new work. It will also cover your liability as the property owner.

Building work insurance can include the following:

  • Renovation insurance
  • Extension insurance
  • Conversion insurance
  • Restoration insurance
  • New build insurance
  • Self-build insurance
  • Contract works insurance
  • JCT insurance

Why get building work insurance?

Having the right building work insurance in place could mean that your project is protected from risks like theft, as well as damage to your building due to fire, flooding, subsidence or a landslip.

These risks don’t tend to be covered in existing home insurance policies – and having building work may mean your policy doesn’t stand. This is why it’s important to seek out renovation insurance that works for you and your circumstances.


No two building projects are ever the same, so we give you a choice of cover options to suit your needs – from long-term  projects to short-term personal home improvements. Plus, if you finish the work before your policy ends, we’ll refund you for the time left.*

* subject to no claims and our £25 cancellation fee unless you take out further cover with us.

Talk to us personally
01621 784840
Get an online quote



* subject to no claims and our £25 cancellation fee unless you take out further cover with us.


Do you know someone knee-deep in renovations with no insurance? Tell them about us and we’ll treat you to a £50 voucher of your choice via GiftPay if they take out a policy with us. We’ll also give them £50 off their premium (T&Cs apply).

Why choose Renovation Plan for your building work insurance?

As renovation insurance brokers, we know a thing or two about what a good, comprehensive policy looks like, whether it’s for extension insurance, conversion insurance or another type of specialist building works insurance. Here’s why you can count on us:

  • We have almost two decades of experience in matching individuals with the right building works insurance policy for their projects.
  • Whether you’re a homeowner, property developer or broker, we can help you secure the right renovation insurance
  • If your project runs over, we can extend your policy without any issue, allowing you plenty of flexibility.
  • Not only do we have three levels of cover but we can also offer long and short-term policies to suit you.
  • We have a 4.9-star rating on Feefo, where past customers have shared their experiences of getting renovation insurance with us.

Renovation and building work insurance FAQs

What insurance should my builder have?

Your builder should have the following insurance in place:

  • Public liability insurance
  • Employers’ liability insurance

However, it’s important to remember that you can’t rely on your builder’s insurance alone. You need to be covered in the event of a nasty surprise – projects are prone to going wrong and you might even fall out with your builders if something isn’t up to scratch.

How do I insure my home when renovating?

It’s best to have the right renovation insurance policy secured before work begins to ensure you’re covered throughout.

Start by contacting your home insurance provider to let them know that building work is about to take place; otherwise, your existing policy may become invalid and you may have to face costly fixes if something happens.

At the same time, you can enquire about whether your policy covers renovation works, essentially identifying the gaps you’ll need to fill. This will help you seek specialist self-build, extension or JCT insurance, for example. Note that some smaller projects may be covered without the need for renovation insurance.

After you get a quote for building work insurance from us, we can get to work on tailoring a renovation insurance policy that works for you.

What levels of cover can I get for my renovation and building work insurance?

We have three levels of building work insurance available:

Where can I find your building work insurance policy documents?

You can find our policy wording and other useful documents here.

Latest News